Canada’s Federal Skilled Worker Program Re-Opened this May 2014
Beginning May 1, 2014, significant amendments to the Federal Skilled Worker Class will be formally adopted by the Government of Canada.
Under this new policy, the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism will adjust the annual number of Federal Skilled workers to 25,000, and 1,000 in each occupation, a slight increase over the the previous caps implemented by the government.
Federal Skilled Workers are persons who are eligible to seek permanent residence in Canada, based criteria that includes education level, work experience, suitable age and language abilities and six additional selection factors that demonstrate a true their likelihood to be able to settle economically in Canada.
In order to apply to be a Federal Skilled Worker in Canada without an approved offer of requirements, applicants must meet conditions that include, but are not limited to:
1. Eliminatory conditions
All applicants must possess at least one full year of experience in one or more of the 50 high demand occupations, as determined by the National Occupational Classification categories. These qualified applicants will be eligible for continued processing as a Federal Skilled Worker pending additional selection conditions.
2. Essential selection conditions
Applicants who meet the eliminatory conditions must also meet the following requirements:
- One year, within the previous ten years, of continuous full time paid work experience or the equivalent amount of part-time employment. Work experience that can be classified within Managerial Occupations (Skill Level 0), Professional Occupations (Skill Level A), or Technical Occupations and Skilled Trades (Skill Level B).
- A sufficient score – currently a pass mark is 67 points – under the Skilled Worker Point Grid comprising of six selection factors.
- Successful language testing from a recognised third party in order to demonstrate intermediate level language skills in English or French as indicated by the Canadian Language Benchmark.
- Possess suitable settlement funding to become economically viable.
- Successful security, background and medical examinations.
Eligible High Demand Occupations:
- 2173 Software engineers and designers
- 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- 2232 Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians
- 2234 Construction estimators
- 2241 Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians
- 2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
- 2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
- 2281 Computer network technicians
- 3011 Nursing co-coordinators and supervisors